PC-Komplettsysteme 1.599 Themen, 15.772 Beiträge

Slow Computer takes 10-20minutes to start up.

valhal / 12 Antworten / Baumansicht Nickles

I have a Targa Computer Version 2002 from Lidl with MS Windows XP Home Edition with service Pack 3.
Hergestellt und unterstützt: Targa GmbH AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+1.83 GHz,224 MB RAM.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerly,Valentin Hallinan.

bei Antwort benachrichtigen
apollo4 valhal „Slow Computer takes 10-20minutes to start up.“
Optionen
Ein Computer ist dafür da, Dir die Arbeit zu erleichtern, die Du ohne Computer nicht hättest.
dirk42799 apollo4 „Hallo, http://www.oo-software.com/home/de/products/oodefrag/?gclid...“
Optionen

...meinst Du wirklich, eine Defragmentierung hilft noch was bei solchen Boot-Zeiten???
Ich hätte mal ganz banal zu einer Win-Neuinstallation gegriffen (oder das Teil gegen was Neues ausgetauscht).

Gruß,
Dirk

ja, ich schreibe absichtlich nach den alten Rechtschreibregeln!
apollo4 dirk42799 „...meinst Du wirklich, eine Defragmentierung hilft noch was bei solchen...“
Optionen

Hallo,

ja, dass kann eine der Ursachen sein.
Sicher nicht zu 100%

Auch eine Neuinstallation kann das lösen.
Aber ich kenne selber diese Situation mit den langen booten.
Die Derfarmentierung brachte da Linderung.

Rechner wurde aber letztendlich auch neu aufgesetzt.

Gruß
apollo4

Ein Computer ist dafür da, Dir die Arbeit zu erleichtern, die Du ohne Computer nicht hättest.
valhal apollo4 „Hallo, http://www.oo-software.com/home/de/products/oodefrag/?gclid...“
Optionen

Many thanks apollo4,
Your help was greatly appreciated.
Valhal.

Olaf19 valhal „Slow Computer takes 10-20minutes to start up.“
Optionen

I agree with Dirk's statement - I would re-install first, and if this machine proves to be as sluggish as before, I would look out for something new. These symptoms are rather unlikely the result of fragmentation or a stuffed autostart folder.

A 2002 machine does not necessarily have to be such lousy performer - I still have got one, now running Ubuntu - however, 256 meg of RAM (I suppose the graphics steal away another 32 meg) is really poor for Windows XP. On the other hand, installing more memory or any other upgrade option is not such a good idea with a computer having its 10th anniversary next year.

CU
Olaf

Die Welt ist ein Jammertal ohne Musik. Doch zum Glueck gab es Bach, Beethoven, Haendel und Goethe (Helge Schneider)
valhal Olaf19 „I agree with Dirk s statement - I would re-install first, and if this machine...“
Optionen

Thank you for your speedy assistance Olaf19.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
valhal.

gelöscht_189916 valhal „Slow Computer takes 10-20minutes to start up.“
Optionen

Hi

You can do also that:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

I think, you have installed many not necessary programs and I agree Olaf, 256MB of RAM are not so much.
XP is good up 512MB, it runs perfectly with 1-2GB of RAM.

Sorry of my bad English and greetings;-)

fakiauso

valhal gelöscht_189916 „Hi You can do also that: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php I...“
Optionen

Many thanks fakiauso and by the way I have no problem with your English.
Once again thanks for your input.
valhal.

gelöscht_189916 valhal „Many thanks fakiauso and by the way I have no problem with your English. Once...“
Optionen

Hi

At the second time I´ve got another idea;-)

An old bug of XP was the failure with breakdown IDE-Controllers to PIO-Mode.
In this case you must remove the Controller or the Device at the Device-Manager and at the next boot this Device will be reinstalled.
After the second reboot the Device should run with full speed again.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Chapter 7 of this Link is solving this Problem

fakiauso

obermais valhal „Slow Computer takes 10-20minutes to start up.“
Optionen

Sorry , if you don't upgrade your RAM to at least 1GB there will be no chance to have Windows XP SP 3 work at an acceptable speed.

XP works fine on small computers up to SP 2 but not with SP 3. I have tested that several times. My decision was to use LUBUTU Linux on Computers with 256 MB RAM, XUBUNTU Linux on Computers with at least 512 MB.

Olaf19 obermais „Sorry , if you don t upgrade your RAM to at least 1GB there will be no chance to...“
Optionen
XP works fine on small computers up to SP 2 but not with SP 3.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of SP3 being such a RAM eater. My own experience is limited to XP up to SP2. Thanks for the info!

XUBUNTU Linux on Computers with at least 512 MB.

This is perfectly alright as long as you like to work with the XFCE desktop - which I did not. However, Ubuntu still runs smoothly with 512 meg under gnome desktop. KDE? don't know... could be a bit "tight".

CU
Olaf
Die Welt ist ein Jammertal ohne Musik. Doch zum Glueck gab es Bach, Beethoven, Haendel und Goethe (Helge Schneider)
valhal obermais „Sorry , if you don t upgrade your RAM to at least 1GB there will be no chance to...“
Optionen

Many thanks obermais,your input is greatly appreciated.
Valhal.